Monday, December 29, 2014

My Rocky Life 2014

I am not the neatest nor a messy one around but I like to keep my thoughts as organized as I could and writing is one of the way to structure my thoughts. Few years back, I was inspired by a video (similar one here) that talked about putting the big rocks before small stones in life and I decided to give it a try. It has been a few years since I adopt the approach and it has been pretty useful. As we usher the new year, I wish that this sharing will help you in some way too.


I listed out all my big rocks in my life and these are the important roles of my life like "Daughter of God", "Ashlyn", "Wife", "Mummy", "Daughter",  "Sister", "Friends" and "Secretary". There are 16 on the list now and probably a few lesser back when I just started. When I first looked through the list years back, I realized that I haven't been doing them really well. I haven't been putting my life into good perspective.

Thus, I began to arrange the big rocks in accordance to their importance and also listed the key things that I need to do better at my various roles. As for those small rocks or even stones, I try not to do them at the expense of the big rocks. I have the list in my hp, written on papers and notebooks. I go back to it from time to time and it acts like a prayer/reflection list to me. Over these years, I know that I want and need to be a woman after God's own heart (following after a book by Elizabeth George). It's a long way and I am still trying. As much as I wish I am always in order, there are many crazy days that I just felt zero peace. That is when I know I need to go back to organize my big rocks especially the first one and go back to God.

For 2014, I am thankful that I have did well in one of the big rocks, fine for most rocks but there still more efforts needed in 2015. I also give thanks for the many events and milestones (especially Emma's) that have happened. To highlight a few, we celebrated best friend XM's wedding, Baby L into CHAOS family, Emma's first birthday, graduation, new job, awesome breastfeeding journey, family trips to gold coast and JB.


Student

One rock down!! With all glory to the Lord, I graduated from SIM University with a scholarship and received the Lee Fock Hong Silver Award in Jul'14. I am thankful for how God has blessed me with wisdom and strength to pull through. I would never be able to accomplish all without him and the support of my love ones.



Secretary

1.5 months into the job and things are going well. 

I was pregnant for the first 7.5 months of 2013 and spent the following 4 months on maternity leave learning how to take care of Emma. I went back to work in Dec 2013 and start my journey as a full time working mum. It's much difficult than I have expected. Everything at work was good other than the 2 hrs of travel each day. I just find that the time spent on traveling could be put into better use. I had wanted to leave the company early 2014 but decided to wait till I have graduated in Jul. Eventually, I only left in Nov when I found a job at a place really near home. 

I wasn't actively looking for one as it happened to be after Emma's thumb sucking incident. But once again, God provides in his perfect timing and I am so glad to be given this job. The company is in its pioneer stage and there are lots of room for learning and growth. I pray that I would be able to better manage the work-life balance with time saved in traveling. 


Ashlyn/Housewife

There are many other areas that I like to improve on for myself but I am quite challenged in the area of cleanliness and order at home. Being a full time working mother, I find it hard to keep up with the housework. Things tend to accumulate especially stuffs for Emma. I got to admit that I have a bad habit of consolidating all my mess so that I leave the rest of the house still looking neat. I need to kick that. Lately, I started to read up more on household tips and ideas. I wish I would do better next year! In the meantime, I am trying hard to declutter and housekeep during whatever pockets of time I have.



Mummy/Children Sunday School Teacher

2014 is pretty much a year for Emma to grow, develop and gain independence in mobility while 2015 will be a differently challenged year that comprises teaching of values, language and mannerism. I pray for wisdom, patience and guidance to teach Emma and the little toddlers at the church. As many said: "Bringing up a child is never an easy job" and I am feeling that since Day 1. Things have been going pretty well for Emma but I know that there are challenges ahead. She has learnt how to throw tantrum and always test boundaries. I pray that we will be able to teach her good values and instill strong faith in her. In addition, I have just started on a A-Z learning weekly or maybe biweekly project and I wish that Emma could pick up more words, songs and skills in 2015! 


Daughter of God

I love reading devotions and pray as much as I would. However, I need to spend more time on the bible daily. I wish to work out something on my schedule for the new year. There was a year we spent everyday reading a chapter of the bible but that was before Emma comes along. Let's see how I could bring it back again.


All the 16 rocks are still work in progress - listed are some and I am sure there is a long list to work on. I pray that I will walk the path that God has intended for me. To the many important people in my life (you know who you are), please be patient with me and let's cheer each other on.

***

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. - Proverbs 3:5 ESV

But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31 ESV

No comments:

Post a Comment