Sunday, March 29, 2015

Thank you Mr Lee Kuan Yew

My heartfelt condolences to the Lee Family. 

It has been one of the darkest week for Singapore as we lost our founding father - Mr Lee Kuan Yew. My heart filled with mixed feelings when I heard of his demise on 23 March 2015. Over this week, I chose to mourn and show my gratitude in silence. And today, I watched the procession with sadness but great hope. I saw how much Mr Lee has impacted Singapore and the world. I'm sure he will continue to inspire many. I pray for the nation and the Lee Family, may we continue to strengthen as a nation and be a blessing to the world around.

Mr Lee has made a great difference to Singapore. Without him, we will not be what we are now. His leadership, foresight and contributions had brought so much prosperity, peace and harmony to us. I am proud of him and just want to express my greatest appreciation and respect to this wise, courageous, passionate and transformative leader. Thank you Mr Lee. No matter how much some would have criticised him, we all know deep down that he had did his best for Singapore.

I'm thankful to be able to enjoy the fruits of his leadership and the hardwork of many. Thank you for providing a safe and beautiful place where we could call it home and build our family without much worries. For the generations ahead, I pray that together we will never forget our roots and remember that Singapore has came a long way to what we are today. 

With no disrespect, I felt that the loss is a little more personal than I thought it would be.

Memories of my grandfather's death in 2011 kept flashing across my mind from time to time. Like Mr Lee Kuan Yew, he died with similar condition.

Grandpa insisted to discharge from hospital and we knew he was preparing to leave. Our family gathered and accompanied grandpa through the night. The children sang a last song to him "世上只有阿公好". He was having a hard time and struggled. We couldn't do much but to be there with him this at this last moment. We sat around and watched him took his last breath. Everything happened so fast, Dad let out a loud wail and auntie fainted. The rest just burst into tears helplessly. It was such a painful moment but I never want it to forget it. It was the last memory that we shared with him. And now, he is still hidden deep in my heart even if he had left us.

"Ah Gong, I love you and miss you dearly. I wish that I could meet you once again someday in heaven."


****

Death brings pain that time can only heal, no words could ease what we truly feel; but with God, his joy is eternally sealed and cherish his memories that death can't even steal.



No comments:

Post a Comment